University Assistant (post doc) -- Media Innovation and Political Communication
Wien -- Vienna, Austria, 14. February 2018.
The University of Vienna (15 faculties, 4 centres, about 174 fields of study, approx. 9.500 members of staff, more than 94.000 students) seeks to fill the position as soon as possible of a
University Assistant (post doc)
at the Department of Communication
Reference number: 8311
Communication studies is a social science with a diversity of research methods. Its core is the indirect public communication, transmitted by mass media.
The Department of Communication of the University of Vienna, a subunit of the Faculty of Social Sciences, announces a vacant post doc position within the field of Media Innovation/Media Change (Prof. Homero Gil de Zúñiga).
Duration of employment: 3 year/s
Extent of Employment: 40.0 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Active participation in research, teaching and administration. This involves
- Developing and strengthening the independent research profile
- Participation in research projects in the field of Media Innovation and Political Communication
- Publication in peer-reviewed journals and papers at international conferences
- Project application and (external) fundraising
- Preparing / writing a (publication-ready) habilitation thesis
- Holding classes due to extent regulations of wage agreement
- Examination activities
- Support of students
- Participation in evaluation measures and quality assurance
- Participation in administration of the department
- PhD degree in the field of Communication Studies or a related discipline
- Professional competence in the field of Media Innovation/Media Change
- Experience in data analysis (i.e. big data mining, gathering and visual representation, predictive machine learning is a plus)
- Advanced analytical quantitative skills and understanding of statistical software packages (SPSS, LISREL, MPLUS etc.)
- Didactic competence
- Knowledge of principles of teaching and experience
- High command of written and oral language
- Excellent command of written and spoken English, good command of written and spoken German
- Computer literacy
- Ability to work in teams
- Strong ability to cope with pressure
Desirable qualifications are
- Knowledge of university processes and structures
- Experience abroad
- Letter of intent
- Scientific curriculum vitae (including a list of publications, a list of courses and a list of talks given)
- Draft of research interests and research agenda / of the intended habilitation project (if applicable)
- Two referees that we could contact
Applications including a letter of motivation (German or English) should be submitted via the Job Center to the University of Vienna ( http://jobcenter.univie.ac.at) no later than 14.02.2018, mentioning reference number 8311.
For further information please contact Gil de Zuniga, Homero +43-1-4277-49331.
The University pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity ( http://diversity.univie.ac.at/). The University lays special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
Human Resources and Gender Equality of the University of Vienna
Reference number: 8311
Application deadline: Feb 14, 2018