Associate Professor (tenure track), Intercultural and Digital Communication
Jyväskylä, Finland, 14. August 2017.
University of Jyväskylä
The University of Jyväskylä is a nationally and internationally significant research university and an expert on education that focuses on human and natural sciences. The University is Finland’s leading expert in teacher education and adult education, as well as the major exporter of education. The Faculty of Sport and Health Sciences is the only one in the country. The University of Jyväskylä is known for its dynamic operating culture and strong commitment to social responsibility.
Department of Language and Communication Studies is currently seeking to recruit an
Associate Professor (tenure track), Intercultural and Digital Communication, starting January 1st 2018 for a fixed-term period of five years.
The Associate Professor’s position is allocated to Department of Language and Communication Studies to the discipline of Intercultural communication.
The Associate Professor’s position is at Department of Language and Communication Studies. The position supports the profiling of the department at the two core fields of the University strategy (Languages, Culture and Communities in Global Change Processes, and Information Technology and the Human in the Knowledge Society) and the profiling measure Language in Changing Society.
The duties of the associate professor include active international research and publication activity, initiating and leading research projects, acquiring external research funding, active participation in national and international networks, teaching and supervision in undergraduate and postgraduate training, and leading the international master’s programme. The duty of the associate professor is in particular to develop future oriented research and teaching in the field of intercultural and digital communication.
The successful applicant needs to have strong evidence of research and teaching in intercultural communication. Research in the areas of digital communication and communication technologies is considered an asset. Success in acquiring external funding, supervision of theses, and administrative experience are also considered an asset. The emphasis in the evaluation is based on strong international research profile and on experience in teaching and supervision. In addition, the successful applicant is expected to have broad theoretical and methodological expertise.
The duties and qualification requirements for the position of the Associate Professor are stipulated by the University of Jyväskylä Regulations, Rector’s decision on personnel matters and language skills guidelines. The selected person is required to have a full command of Finnish language. When considered appropriate, the university may grant exemption from the language proficiency requirements. In this position, the languages of instruction are Finnish and English. Excellent English skills are thus required, as well as the ability to teach in English. Non-Finnish personnel are expected to acquire at least intermediate skills of Finnish within three years from the start of their employment.
The appointment is for a fixed period of five years, see tenure track path. An especially distinguished and unquestionably qualified person may exceptionally be appointed directly to the position of professor presuming there is no candidate available who is more competent and suitable candidate for the position.
The purpose of the fixed-term is, that the Associate Professor gathers enough merits for full Professor position. When an employee has been selected for a fixed-term associate professorship, an evaluation procedure is used regarding the employee’s merits for a professorship filled through an invitation procedure. The evaluation procedure shall begin before the end of the fixed-term contract. The evaluation procedure follows the same practices used in the expert evaluation procedure for filling a professorship.
The application procedure provides more detailed information on the duties, qualification requirements and attachments, see: https://www.jyu.fi/en/workwithus/appointment-procedure.
The Associate Professor’s job-specific salary component is based on the job demands levels 7 (3 851,33 €/month) according to the salary system concerning teaching and research staff at universities. In addition, a personal performance-based salary component amounting to the maximum of 46,3% of the job-specific salary component is also paid.
Four months trial period is applied to the filling of the position. For more information, please contact Head of the Department Anne Pitkänen-Huhta, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org , tel. +358 0504285276 or Professor Anu Sivunen e-mail: email@example.com tel. +358 40 7354279. Following documents must be included in English to the electronic recruiting system:
1. Motivation letter,
2. A CV composed according to good scientific practice and considering, when possible, the template for researcher´s curriculum vitae of the Finnish Advisory Board on Research Integrity (TENK) (see: http://www.tenk.fi/sites/tenk.fi/files/CV_english_270613.pdf),
3. Short (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s research activities, merits in scientific work and supervision of research including acquisition of supplement funding and responsibilities in externally funded research projects,
4. Short (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s pedagogical training and teaching merits (see: https://www.jyu.fi/hum/en/aineistot/tyosuhteet/portfolio_eng.pdf/view),
5. Short (2-3 pages) explanation of the applicant’s international activities and experience in societal interaction, 6. Short (2-3 pages) explanation how the applicant intends to develop the research, education and societal interaction in the field of intercultural communication and that connects communication and language studies,
7. A numbered list of publications covering the applicant’s the scientific and other publications according to the instructions of the Academy of Finland (see: http://www.aka.fi/en/funding/how-to-apply/appendices-required/guidelines...),
8. A maximum of ten publications, which must be numbered according to the list of publications.
Please submit your application at the latest on Monday, August 14th 2017 using the online application form. You’ll find the job advertisement and the application form at following link: https://www.jyu.fi/en/news/current-vacancies